Tuesday, September 5, 2017

She's either killing me or keeping me young!

I started this post in my mind right after my brother's anniversary party and
last summer and
right after my birthday and finally here it is. Thank you for all your birthday wishes.

At my brother's party someone said "boy Dave you are so busy!"  "We see it on Facebook."
My reply was Yes, Audrey is either trying to kill me or she's making me young.
Really I love to joke and she has endless energy which is catchy and keeps me young.

We have always been open sharing our lives.  Many times we say, "this would make a cool blog post" and go on our way. Now we love to share on Instagram. We love to share and blog...we never have time.  Maybe now we will.

So what do you want to do when you retire?
After I retired from the steel mill I taught welding in steel mills, cut grass at a local cemetery, owned an antique business, while moving a house to our property and taking care of 20 acres.

One day before an open house I overheard my bride say to her friend Bobbette
"I looked out the window and David was taking all the sheep fence down and I cried"
The sheep fence was bad and needed to be taken down.  But I didn't know. She didn't tell me.

She never told me that...secretly...she wanted sheep again. She married "FARMER DAVE"  but she was a real shepherdess.  We had about 50 head at one time. Two pastures, two breeds, two rams in the right places, she delivered the babies in difficult births, she bottle fed the lambs if needed, nursed sick ones back to health, helped with docking, sold the meat, clean and carded the wool, dyed the wool, took felting lessons at a local college. Of course she misses it. I tried shearing them once but we won't go there. It was her passion. And mine. I have always loved having animals. 

I know we cannot add another thing to our plate.  Something has to give...another grandson is being born...corgi's seem to arrive here quite often...we rent out our 1824 farmhouse, photographers rent from us, there are workshops here at the farm and now my bride has been under the weather. The doctor scared us.  He said she has to rest. Rest is not in her vocabulary. Something has to give.  I say "we" but I won't hear of a Christmas open house.  You can not rest and have an open house hearing the words of the doctor in your ear "this is real."  And I am tired.

This is a bump in the road for her.  Our Fall Gathering at the shop will be our last big event for a while. We don't know how long. We might be open every day in a year or two...we might close the shop...we don't know.  We might have a friend's gathering again. We might have sheep shearing days again.  She might have a Dye and Pie Day sharing her love of dyeing wool and making pies. We will continue with workshops, making candles and renting out our farmhouse. That's what we do know.

What is your dream when you retire? We had to have this hard discussion.  Hard because it's hard sometimes to change things in your life. Change can be for the better but can be hard. We aren't 20 or 40 years old any more. WE want to see our children and grandchildren more. WE want to have animals again. WE want to travel to more fairs, sheep and wool, tractor and antique shows.  WE want to share our passions that have melted together through the years.

And what we do know is that we are very blessed to do what we want to do.  God is good.
  Thank you for always supporting us in so many ways.    
                                                                                                 farmer Dave

                

8 comments:

  1. LOVE-and you deserve to do what you want to do as you have been a great inspiration to me and many others! My support goes with you in whatever it is that you do. I feel blessed to call you my friends xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! What's best is we have become close friends and have many years ahead of us, many more laughs together!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful thoughts! So many of us have like passions....and yes Dave it keeps you young! I learn something new everyday....and yes it causes a fork in the road sometimes...yet when you travel down that road with your true love....it's never to windie! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very thing we all love about Audrey is her devotion to all things that capture her heart. Faith,family, antiques and critters all are embraced with passion...and gusto! Praying she will heed the Doctors advice and rest,or that you have the stamina to insist she does! Wishing you both all good things today and always ...hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie, your spirit is why Audrey loves you and yes pray for stamina for me!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful blog post.. just love you both.. so happy to call you both friends, love that I have been lucky enough to visit your awesome shoppe and hope to see you soon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti and we love seeing you, here or in Ohio but always love seeing you!

      Delete